The International Campaign for Tibet is searching for an experienced communications professional to raise the profile and visibility of the International Campaign for Tibet.
For thirty years, the International Campaign for Tibet (ICT) has called the world’s attention to the injustices and brutality suffered by the people of Tibet. Guided by the vision of His Holiness the Dalai Lama, ICT is committed to securing the fundamental rights of all Tibetans, defending their unique identity and the right to self-determination through worldwide advocacy, public education, and youth leadership development.
ICT monitors and reports on human rights, environmental and socio economic conditions in Tibet; advocates for Tibetans imprisoned for their political or religious beliefs; works with governments to develop policies and programs to help Tibetans; secures humanitarian and development assistance for Tibetans; works with Chinese institutions and individuals to build understanding and trust, and explores relationships between Tibetans and Chinese; mobilizes individuals and the international community to take action on behalf of Tibetans; and promotes self-determination for the Tibetan people through negotiations between the Chinese government and the Dalai Lama.
Founded in 1988, ICT, a 501(c)(3) organization, maintains offices in Washington, D.C., Amsterdam, Berlin, and Brussels with a field office in Dharamsala, India.
- Assist the President in planning and implementing communication strategies, in cooperation with an external Marketing and Communications company;
- Daily activities include working in a team with the President and the Vice President on reactive and proactive media relations, media monitoring and evaluation, social media, digital marketing and stakeholder communications in coordination with our Development department;
- Pitch story ideas to relevant US based journalists;
- Produce copy, edit and proofread content of media materials;
- Produce materials for and oversee ICT’s social media communications and campaigns in English;
- Develop and maintain relationships with external media contacts;
- Maintain up-to-date contacts database, coordinate regular mailings to the list from ICT’s output, and distribute press materials;
- Maintain daily inter-office calendars of events;
- Utilize information from different departments of the ICT offices, particularly from field team, for communications output.
- Work with colleagues from across the organization to identify and seize opportunities to further integrate communications, advocacy, development and research.
Desired skills and experience:
- At least 5 years of experience as a Communication Officer or comparable position
- A University degree in communications, journalism or public relations is preferable
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of the Adobe Suite and WordPress is preferred
- Attention to detail and proof reading skills
- Proficiency in using major social media channels
- Organized with strong time management
- Ability to juggle various time sensitive duties simultaneously
Please email cover letter and resume with “Communications Officer” in the subject line to [email protected].
The International Campaign for Tibet is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity to all qualified individuals.
Salary commensurate with experience.