The Board of Advisors of the Rowell Fund for Tibet has selected 10 Tibetan grantees for financial support totaling $ $34,500 for 2017. The winners were chosen from 21 project proposals with individual grants ranging from $3,000 to $3,500 and will be carried out in India and other countries.
The Rowell Fund for Tibet was established in 2003 in memory of the late Galen Rowell and his wife Barbara who died tragically in a plane crash in 2002. Galen Rowell was an internationally known outdoor photographer whose “Rainbow over the Potala Palace” has become an iconic photo for adventure travelers and Tibet supporters.
The Rowell Fund for Tibet, established by friends and family of Galen and Barbara, in cooperation with the International Campaign for Tibet, is to support the work of Tibetans communicating issues of importance to broader Tibetan or international audiences through photography, film-making, writing, journalism, and other projects.
The grantees for 2017 are:
- Conservation of Tibet House Museum (Produce a catalog of objects in the museum) in New Delhi, India
- Preservation of Dromo Labrang Museum and Library in Kalimpong, India
- Archival of Religious History (Publishing books on historical and holy sites of Western Tibet), Nepal
- Nurturing Children’s book writers and illustrators (bi-lingual manual), Dharamsala, India
- Establishing a Children’s Library in Mungod, India
- Tibetan Women’s Football Camp, Dharamsala, India
- Tibetan Wedding Culture Preservation Project (filming and writing,) Nepal
- Nature Trail: Exploring the Natural World (Outdoor education program for Tibetan Students,) New Delhi, India
Two of the projects are confidential ones, as requested by the grantees and considering the nature of the projects.
The Advisory Board of the Rowell Fund includes: John Ackerly, Conrad Anker, David Breashears, Jimmy Chin, Bob and Beth Cushman, John Jancik, Terre Baker, Bob Palais, Tony Rowell and Nicole Rowell Ryan. The Fund is managed by the International Campaign for Tibet.
For more information on the Rowell Fund in general please contact [email protected]