The Rowell Fund for Tibet was established in memory of the late Galen Rowell and his wife Barbara who died tragically in a plane crash in 2002. Galen Rowell was an internationally known outdoor photographer whose “Rainbow over the Potala Palace” has become an iconic photo for adventure travelers and Tibet supporters. The Rowell Fund for Tibet, established by friends and family of Galen and Barbara, in cooperation with the International Campaign for Tibet, has for 10 years supported Tibetans whose work can make a significant contribution in the fields of visual arts, the environment, media and women’s rights.
“It was very touching to note in reviewing this 11th year of applications that we continue to receive so many meaningful submissions. The Fund seems to have gathered momentum and awareness over the past decade,” said Nicole Rowell Ryan, member of the Rowell Fund Board of Advisors.
The grantees for 2014 are:
- Translation of book by Bapa Phuntsok Wangyal, Khawa Karpo Tibet Culture Centre, Dharamsala, India www.tibetexpress.net
- Publishing a book on Tibetan alphabets, Tibetan Children’s Education Project, Toronto, Canada www.wildyaks.com
- Tibet Photo Exhibition, Tibet Museum, Dharamsala, India, www.tibetmuseum.org
- Help to senior citizens in Bylakuppe, Tibet International Corporation, New Jersey, United States, www.tibetinternational.org
- Publishing of History of Khyung Mo Monastery, Yung Drung Bon Monastic Centre, Solan, India
- Tibetan Caligraphy Project, Sarah, Dharamsala, India
- Tibetan Oral History Project, Bylakuppe, India www.tibetoralhistory.org
The Advisory Board of the Rowell Fund includes: John Ackerly, Conrad Anker, David Breashears, Jimmy Chin, Bob and Beth Cushman, John Jancik, Bob Palais, Tony Rowell and Ray and Nicole Rowell Ryan. The Fund is managed by the International Campaign for Tibet. To learn more about Galen and Barbara Rowell and the Rowell Fund for Tibet, please visit www.savetibet.org/support-tibet/donate-rowell-fund.
Please visit www.savetibet.us for the Tibetan version of the announcement.