Great News! Your support of ICT will go TWICE as far helping Tibetans thanks to today's Matching Gift Challenge.
Learn more about the self-immolations that have occurred since 2009.
Illustration from the forthcoming children's book Wild Yak, which received a Rowell Fund grant in 2012. (www.wildyaks.com)
The criminalization of Tibetan self-immolations: an ICT Special Report
Tibet Tidbits is a new offering from ICT, a short weekly roundup of events and information outside of the mainstream media that comes across our way.
New conditions for Village Committees candidates exclude Tibetans who ‘secretly’ hold sympathy for the “Dalai Clique”
- The Chinese authorities have imposed stringent new conditions on candidates for village-level committee elections in one area of Tibet, which includes the exclusion of anyone who has attended religious teachings by the Dalai Lama, has ‘overseas connections’ or who “secretly has sympathy for the 14th Dalai clique”.
- The conditions were announced by Ngari (Chinese: Ali) prefecture in the Tibet Autonomous Region as the authorities carry out a new round of committee elections all over PRC. China claims that these elections represent the implementation of ‘village democracy’, but the new Tibetan-specific conditions are a further indicator that the Tibetan people face discrimination and do not enjoy the limited rights granted by the Chinese authoritarian system.
Latest News & Reports
The EU changing engines on a moving train
Update on ICT's EU elections Campaign and Post-Election Analysis
Battling the Chinese Narrative: The Scourge of "Soft Power"
New ICT Report: “Has Life Here Always Been Like This?”
JOIN OUR EMAIL LIST
› Beijing should learn from the Scottish Referendum
› Meetings with ICT members in Europe and a call to release relatives and friends of self-immolators
› “Seeing is believing:” barriers to objective understanding of Tibet
› Amateur hour in Tibet
ICT ON TWITTER
- Over 1,000 Tibetans in Mendro Gongkar gather to protest rivers polluted with poisonous waste http://t.co/IEo0CMrpJy http://t.co/aECnm0w3gp 13 hours ago
- The repercussions of Beijing's heavy-handed actions in Hong Kong will ripple out to Taiwan, Xinjiang- and #Tibet http://t.co/wIg6A8yACn 18 hours ago
- New #Tibet Tidbits- Chinese magazine disrespects Tibetan symbols, 10th Panchen Lama's daughter discriminated against http://t.co/b9RR8eCYFc 4 days ago