Lodi Gyari shares his parting thoughts with the members, supporters and friends of the International Campaign for Tibet.
DEADLINE EXTENDED! International Campaign for Tibet calls Facebook to account after CEO Zuckerberg hosts visit of Chinese internet censorship chief. Sign the petition on Care2 now!
Learn more about the self-immolations that have occurred since 2009.
Tibet Tidbits is a new offering from ICT, a short weekly roundup of events and information outside of the mainstream media that comes across our way.
The criminalization of Tibetan self-immolations: an ICT Special Report
- Tibetan netizens have expressed outrage at images of some delegates to important Communist Party meetings in Lhasa this week wearing the pelts of protected wild species saying this goes against China’s laws.
- There has been a cultural shift in Tibet against wearing wild animal pelts since the Dalai Lama made a call in 2006, sparking the burning of furs across Tibet thereafter. While this was described by conservationists as one of the single most successful initiatives against the illegal wildlife trade, the Chinese authorities responded in some areas by encouraging, or requiring, Tibetans to wear wild animal pelts in order to showcase ‘exotic’ Tibetan culture, in some cases as a deliberate political statement against the Dalai Lama.
Latest News & Reports
ICT welcomes the investiture of new High Representative
A Timeless Culture Prevails
New ICT report: 'Acts of Significant Evil'
JOIN OUR EMAIL LIST
› Decoding the Pope’s remarks on the missed meeting with the Dalai Lama in Rome
› Pay attention: freedom of speech is the battleground chosen by extremists and authoritarian governments against democratic societies
› Charlie Hebdo and the Chinese assault on free speech
› My Thoughts on Reading Freedom House Report on China and Censorship
ICT ON TWITTER
- "Tibetans as a people have never been as united in solidarity as they are now," @Drlobsangsangay says in interview: http://t.co/8edsKm3kjZ 1 day ago
- "The movement is strong, mainly because the Tibetan people inside #Tibet are strong." -@Drlobsangsangay http://t.co/8edsKm3kjZ #TibetanSOTU 1 day ago
- Outrage among Tibetans after Party officials in #Tibet seen wearing endangered animal furs: http://t.co/H5m87lsIKu http://t.co/FuN2WOmqVP 1 day ago