Order yours today! The calendar features 12 beautiful photographs of sites that hold a special significance and connection to the history and people of Tibet.
Let him know that the circumstances of Liu Xiaobo’s tragic death – and the tragic endings for countless other political prisoners – cannot be ignored.
China’s nomination for UNESCO World heritage risks imperilling Tibetans and wildlife
The International Campaign for Tibet champions the cause of the Tibetan people throughout the world.
- Revised Chinese government regulations on religion consolidate far-reaching powers of the Communist Party state over people’s lives and beliefs, and are a further threat to the continued survival of Tibetan Buddhism in Tibet.
- The revised rules on religious activity, issued by the Chinese State Council on September 7, 2017, conflate peaceful religious practice with ‘threats’ to China’s security, creating a more dangerous political environment for monks, nuns, and lay Buddhists, isolating them further from their counterparts outside China.
- According to a newly revised provision of the regulation – and in an apparent attempt to use religion to achieve political goals of the Communist Party – religious groups are now bound to practice “core socialist values.”
- The Chinese state media also announced a focus on the ‘Sinicization’ of religion, stating: “The direction of religions is to integrate them with Chinese culture” (Global Times, September 7, 2017). The Buddhist community is one of the main targets of ‘Sinicization’ of religion, which represents a more far-reaching effort to mould and shape Tibetan Buddhism to the diktats of the Chinese Communist Party in line with a more entrenched regulatory framework that has already deepened religious oppression over the last decade.
Latest News & Reports
JOIN OUR EMAIL LIST
› Beware the Sixth Tone
› Nomads land: ICT advocacy at UNESCO
› The Panchen Lama and Legitimacy
› ‘Burning against the Dying of the Light’: Politics of protest and self-immolations in Tibet highlighted in major international exhibition
ICT ON TWITTER
- Canadian-Tibetan woman @BhutilaKarpoche nominated for public office: https://t.co/DUHi6EAqxm https://t.co/BdMGE1ksXn 10 hours ago
- Tibetan Passports Still Held by Chinese Authorities Despite Promises of Return: https://t.co/4u81mKCxkO 11 hours ago
- SCMP: Spring is coming earlier to #Tibet and it could affect the lives of millions. https://t.co/sZZoY1FRcR 13 hours ago